Infinit8 Fitness Lingo
If you’ve been checking out our website, reading our blog, and emails and you are getting bombarded with “WODs”, “AMRAPs”, and other crazy language, then this email is for you!
This is a quick and easy study guide on some of the more common terms and acronyms you may hear around the gym. Sit back, relax, and get your learn on!
- Box: Slang term that our community uses when referring to the gym, ie. “I’m heading down to the box”.
- Scaling, Scalability, Scale: The ability to modify a workout to meet the ability of the athlete. All of our workouts are scalable. Workouts can be scaled up in order to make them harder, or scaled down in order to make them easier.
- Rep: A single repetition of an exercise, ie. “perform 5 reps”.
- Set: A total number of reps for the exercise, ie. “perform 5 sets of 10 pull- ups”.
- AMRAP: As Many Reps as Possible
- BW: Body Weight
- MetCon: Metabolic Conditioning Workout
- PR: Personal Record
- KB: Kettlebell
- RX’d: A workout performed without any modifications or prescribed
- RM: Rep Max, i.e. your 3RM is the maximum weight that you can lift for three reps
- ROM: Range of Motion
- WOD: Workout of The Day
- EMOM: Every Minute on The Minute perform a task